Throughout the six weeks we were to experiment with various social tools and communicate through them with our team members. There were a few hurdles here and there but as a team we helped each other out.
At first I found it hard to blog about my findings on what I thought about the new technology we used that week. I think it was because I have never had a blog before and wasn’t used to expressing my thoughts out in the open for people to read. But eventually I got through with it and did the most I could.
I know I could have done extra work by looking at other uses for the tool rather than just doing what was to be done in the weekly schedule.
I took a step out of my comfort zone, but I could have done more like researching other uses for the tool rather than just following the weekly schedule.
But I still managed to use Facebook as my main communication tool with my buddies because we all had a profile and it was easy to access, but I also know that there were other social sites that could be accessed via mobile and from a computer for example Twitter. Even though we all had accounts with Twitter I still found it easier to keep in touch via Facebook. When we did have problems we would email each other and ask to see if any of us knew a better/another way of approaching the problem.
Being introduced to new social technologies, i still managed to use Facebook as my main communication tool. I didn’t comment
RSS feeds; this was also another interesting tool. Who knew you could view all updates instantly without going to the website and doing it all the time when you wanted to read the recent updates. It saves me time and shows me all the latest news.
Wikipedia
(We were told to be honest right?) Well I found this boring. I’m not a fan of editing or adding my knowledge to other people’s articles. I just go by whatever it says on the article and if I disagree, I’ll just look elsewhere for another source of information.
But it’s pretty neat at how you can edit and add you knowledge to articles you know about and a confidence in.
Okay not all of it was boring – I think I found it boring because I knew you could edit/add and delete information. The interesting part I thought was how it backs up the original page and how it tries to prevent vandalism, how it blocks people who reoffend.
Twitter
Ahhh the celebrity stalker site (well it’s what I like to call it, sorry to those who like/love it)
This is one of the social tools I will not be using on a regular basis. Why? I find it confusing. I can’t read comments that were made to me from my buddies and it doesn’t notify me like Facebook does.
I mean at first it was cool how you get to see what your favourite celebrities were up to and you can follow them. But as the weeks went on I lost interest in it. But I think it’s because I hardly had any friends or family on it. Just my KMT buddies and celebs who think I’m just another crazy fan stalking them.
One thing I did like about Twitter was you can get help. For example you can get help if you want to quit smoking. People can write novels. Now that’s fascinating who knew that Twitter could help you quit smoking.
Google Wave
I enjoyed Google Wave. It was my favourite. This will be one of the tools that I will be using in future reference. I’m willing to introduce it to my friends and family who are unaware of this program. Before learning about these entire new (well to me) technologies, I probably would have come across it a few times but would not even have a clue of what it does.
There were a few problems at the start when I had no clue on where to add people and what Google Wave was.
After identifying all the buttons and how each function worked I managed to gain control over it. It was easy, I thought that it would have been a complicated process but it’s only at the start.
Google Wave will become my electronic organiser for school. It has to do lists, templates of reports you can do groups projects on it and all team members can edit it with having to send it to each other every time a change was made this makes it easier and saves time.
I had a conversation with a few friends on this and it was really fascinating, it saves your previous conversations you can have as many friends talking to you as long as they have been added as your friend.
Social bookmarking and tagging
Now this is pretty cool I got to admit. Before taking Bernadette’s and John’s class I had no idea what delicious was and the first time I heard of it I thought it was a site about Delicious food. And how wrong was I!
This is a great tool to use when reading through articles WebPages and you can simply highlight and write notes and it will save.
I personally will be using it when researching for assignments will come in handy rather than having to print out the article and highlighting it manually but on the other hand you will have a hard copy as well as an electronic copy.
I prefer a hard copy because you can doodle and highlights take it anywhere because I don’t own a laptop yet.
This isn’t too bad I know I will need it for assignments both group and individuals.
Google Maps
Oh how I love the things Google come up with. This is also new to me. Creating your own map? Got to be kidding right ! I loved it. If we have an assignment that it based on one of these tools this one I will be considering. Everything about it was great. I loved showing everyone where I went on my last holiday and added a few pictures to my blog. This was also my first trip out of Australia since moving here when i was only a few months old and had never gone out of Australia, so it was exciting for me.
So in conclusion, I have learnt a lot of skills and knowledge about the social technology today. I know it will be changing but I’m willing to follow whatever trend they have and explore and discover some more technology tools.
This has been a wonderful experience, some of the tools that I learnt about I will be using it throughout my time at RMIT and even after. I’m so glad I got the chance to take up this course and develop my knowledge about technology tools.
I now know how much technology had changed; I’m excited at what the future holds for us. If I’m fascinated by the technology that has been developed already, i can only imagine what they have for us in the future. I have honestly enjoyed this, it was out of my comfort zone it was different to what I would usually do. I'm thinking about using this to get things off my chest, so this will be a place where I can clear my head! Well hopefully you liked reading my blog!
Happy Days Yall xx :)
No comments:
Post a Comment